My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

My brain is full

I just watched Stephen King's The Stand all in one sitting. I think my brain is full.

As with so many things, my favorite piece is the one where all the hard choices are made. Ironically enough, it's also the piece where my favorite character dies. I saw the mini-series when it ran on TV in the early nineties. I read the book a short time after that. The mini-series does a remarkably good job getting the essentials of the book in there, but as I was watching it, relevant bits and pieces from the book would drift through my head:

He almost loses an eye, here.

And in the book, he succumbs.

"And could it be that this was exciting him? It was."

"How I love to love Nadine."

Harold signs his last letter, "Hawk."

My favorite character is Nick Andros. In the book, he's younger, deeper, stronger, and--ultimately--more tragic for all that. He's the kind of character who just does what needs to be done, leads without ever meaning to, and never really gets any reward. The interesting character.

The kind of person I strive to be. Though I could really live without the dying young part. I like to see how things come out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home