My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Partisan Polarities

I noticed two disturbing trends while going through the propositions on this year's ballot: splitting the issue and over-legislating.

Splitting the issue is what I'd call it when two propositions on the same issue, both with slightly different solutions, end up on that ballot at the same time. The problem is, so many people haven't figured out, yet, that you can vote "yes" to both. The "no" voters don't seem to have this problem. We get into this American binary-think thing, where you can only have one or the other, and 49% of people vote yes on one and 49% of people vote yess on the other and 2% of people vote no on both, and that's all she wrote.

Over-legislating is all I can think to call it when you attempt to introduce legislation to make illegal something that is already illegal. If it's illegal for two adults of the same sex to get married, how can you say you've put a proposition on the ballot to ban gay marriage? If committing a felony is already illegal, why should it be more illegal for one group of people than another?

I think these are opposite sides of the same coin. The funny thing is, from what I've noticed, Democrats tend to be responsible for the splitting and Republicans for the over-legislating. This always makes me wonder. I thought Republicans were supposed to be for less government. And when are Democrats finally going to learn to do math?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard you Arizonans had 90+ questions on your ballots. That's insane. You should demand a legislator's salary. I thought we had a representative democracy. Silly me.

--durangodave

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home