My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

2/3 Broken

Today, I did gird myself for battle. I stepped boldly into my panoply, making certain I was shod for war. I came up with my plan of attack, mounted my noble steed, and rode toward the battlefield. Though beleaguered on all sides, I made my way to the high ground and surveyed the situation, laying out the best route through enemy forces. And finally, I emerged triumphant.

Though I did have to visit Target in addition to Wal-Mart.

My electric blanket was 2/3 broken. I was hoping I was imagining it, but on the second night I found myself going, "Wow, these sheets feel ice cold," I felt all over the blanket for any heat, and finally found some . . . in about the bottom 1/3 of it. That means it's not even the controller that's busted, it's something in the blanket, itself. I'd been working very hard to avoid big box stores for the next six weeks or so, but I couldn't find another option.

I seriously found myself feeling like I was in a game of Frogger on the roads, especially around the malls. I planned sneaky things like which entrance to come in and where to park for the easiest get-away. I had several other things I needed which I'd planned to just put off till January, so I found myself in the parking lot of the Evil Temple of Roll-Back looking at my list and pre-determining my route so I could get in and with as little harm to life and limb as possible. And after all that, Wal-Mart had queen-sized electric blankets (at $70) and "heated fleece throws," and that was it.

Target did indeed have a twin-sized electric blanket. For a reasonably affordable $32. Mind you, they had exactly three and they were all blue, but it's not like anybody ever sees this anyway--it's always sandwiched between the sheet and another blanket. In Tucson, you can't afford to be picky.

And before anyone gets on my case about an electric blanket in Tucson . . . it's been getting down into the mid-20's this week. My roommate and I keep the thermostat at about 66F, which is too cold for me and too warm for her. (She closes her bedroom door and keeps her windows open, I think. I wear a sweater. I'd wear more sweaters, but any lower than about 65F and I start to cough. We're such good roommates in most other ways, we put up with it). Our bedrooms are on the outside wall, so it's quite a bit colder where my bed is than where the thermostat resides. And for the record, I tested how warm I sleep, once: I'll kick off even a sheet at about 80F.

It was nuts on the roads. It was even nuts-er in Wal-Mart. Please, gods, no more until after the first of the year. And boy am I glad I had all the holiday presents that need to be mailed ready to go today. It took me fifteen minutes to send out four packages, and I didn't have to wait in line. This will so not be the case by next week.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH I still think you should take time to write a book.. maby a funny about being around guys :) You are so good with words :) You made you shopping trip become funny instead of a pain, which I'm sure all the traffic was.
I have a favor to ask :) I wish you would put a picture of you & your b/f to replace the one thats been on here for about 2 yrs I think lol Ofcourse its up to you, but just a suggestion :)
Hugs, Turtle

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home