My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Rites of Confusion

Here it is, time to register for Rites again . . . and I find I don't know what to do.

Past years' routine has been to pre-register and purchase a plane ticket out to Boston for the Saturday or Sunday before Village Builders. From there, I could hitch a ride to and from the festival with my brother and be assured of crash space on both sides.

All of a sudden, this year, my brother's not 100% sure he's going. And it's hard to pin a plane ticket on "I think so." Even if he does go, I don't know if he's going to have room for me--it was a pretty tight squeeze to fit all our stuff last year. And if I can't ride with him, there's no real reason to fly into Boston. I'm hoping to get some e-mail addresses of other folks who go to the Village Builders' and see if any of them would have room for a stray, but so far, I haven't been able to lay hands on any. If I can, I may want to fly into some other city, entirely.

Albany is the closest airport to the site, but it's more expensive to fly into. Worth it if it cuts two hours of bus ride out of the trip, but it still means bus fare and then cab fare to actually get to the site, unless someone can pick me up from the airport or the bus station.

Complicating things, some of the expenses from the Disneyland trip just finally came through in this month's credit card bill. It's pricey enough to register and fly into Boston. If the airfare goes up because I'm flying into Albany, I keep looking at it and thinking that I really can't justify the expense. But then again, Rites has never been a matter of "justifying" for me.

One upside of pre-reg not resulting in much of a discount this year is that I wouldn't feel horrible if I had to wait until the regular registration period. The plane ticket is the sticking point, and that will start getting more expensive very soon, now. I haven't had to panic about transportation in some years. I'd almost forgotten how much I hate it.

The idea of being there and my brother not is a little weird. I think I'd still go. But if, say, the vikings I hang out with weren't going . . . that'd be a tough choice. I no longer get much out of a lot of the more basic workshops, so half the reason I go is to hang out with friends.

I shouldn't make decisions when I feel this way. But it's really, really hard to wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home