My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

HS Reunion, Part II

Saturday night of the reunion was less surreal. By this point, everyone recognized everyone else, and we sat down and had a very impressive dinner together. I sat with Sharon and her husband, Kendra, Drew and his girlfriend, and Megan and her husband. And we had a chance to just talk, instead of playing catch-up.

At the end of dinner, they turned the music up way too loud and played mostly crap, so everyone went outside. This inspired the DJ to turn it up louder. Finally, a group of women started requesting songs that had been popular when we were in high school, so we got about half an hour of something that was actually worth dancing to. I danced in 4" stiletto heels. This was good for a kick, since in high school, you never caught me in a skirt and I didn't dance at all.

Eventually, we all got bored, and most of us went to a local steakhouse for the unofficial "after-party." More talk. In Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Dreams, the main character thinks something to the effect that growing up means putting away the knives and feigning ignorance of the damage they've caused. It's true. Everyone was very pleasant; including people of the same stripe that once stole my books and hid them under other desks, put gum on my locker, tied it shut, etc. I actually had a remarkably good time.

And now for the cause of all the hold-up on this post: pictures!



Annoyingly enough, this one came out kind of goofy-looking. But you can see the dress quite well. I got lots of compliments on the dress, such that I decided I have to find more excuses to wear it before I shrink out of it. Unfortunately, you can't see the shoes, but that's life.



My mother helped me put curlers in my hair. You can see the effect a little better in this shot. It took us about two hours to do all the hair, and with two rollers in each lock, we ran out. We had to start undoing the ends of the first ones to finish rolling the last part. It was worth it, though. I ended up with this kind of waterfall of messy curls. And while I did feel somewhat like a poodle, the effect was very impressive.



And this is Kendra. (We got the shoes on this one). Purple is now and always has been just amazing on her.

They passed out the memory books at the beginning of the night, so we had some time to read them before the dinner actually started. I may just have had the most commented-upon bio in the whole book. People I knew, people I barely remembered, and spouses of people I went to high school with kept coming up to me and telling me how great and how funny it was. I commented back to one guy I went to elementary school with that if he was going to take the time to read it, I figured it should at least be amusing. I feel vaguely like I've accomplished something.

And I'm told the 20th will be better, if I'm in town for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home