My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Monday, November 07, 2005

At the mooooovies!

I saw Mirror Mask two weeks ago. If the idea of Neil Gaiman meets Jim Henson Productions makes your eyes go all big and your mouth water, you'll want to see this. (Some people, it just really freaks out). Wonderful, wonderful film. And a little bit of a mindfuck, but I wouldn't have expected anything else.

Last weekend, I saw Serenity. Now I need to find Firefly and watch it. Kendra's seen the first couple episodes. She said that as near as she could tell, it was probably the best-written, most beautifully characterized, best-plotted shows on television. Which is probably why it was canceled. She described it to me as a western in space.

She wasn't kidding about any of that. From the first scene on the ship, I knew I was in the right place. Witty dialogue, tight plot, quirky characters . . . the only thing that bothered me is that it ended. It felt like the pilot for something--you start with a stable situation, and by the end, you want to know what happens next.

And from that same scene, I knew why it hadn't done that well at the box office. I listened to the dialogue and quickly came to the conclusion that it was probably too quick and clever for 90% of movie-goers to follow.

Don't let any of this stop you from seeing it. If you're reading my blog in the first place, you're probably in that segment of the population that will drool over it and beg for more. :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Finder said...

If it's any solace, heard tell that Joss Whedon is planning on doing 2 more parts to Serenity.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Journey said...

Gods, I hope so. I thought that might be the intention, but if the first one doesn't do well enough in the theatres, the second two generally don't get made.

Hmm, I was planning to buy this as soon as it came out. Think I should wait for the box set, instead? ;)

8:39 PM  
Blogger WyldWoods (WW.N) said...

I think you should pick up the boxed set of Firefly. I was a huge fan of the series and haave watched the DVDs several times. nd I was taken to see the movie opening weekend as a birthday present.

Oh, and Joss hasn't said he was planning to make two more. He said he was planning on making more. (I listened to a couple of podcasts with interviews of him.)

9:36 PM  
Blogger Journey said...

Yeah, but I'm broke. ;) A movie or three, I might afford. A whole series generally defeats me. Which is why I don't yet own Farscape.

9:59 PM  
Blogger WyldWoods (WW.N) said...

Well, since the complete series of Firefly lasted 14 episodes, only 11 of which were aired, you should be able to pick up the entire series, one box, for under $40. About the price of a couple of movies.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home