My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Holy boxes, Batman!

We're expecting a very large shipment of equipment at work this week. On the order of 60 boxes, to be followed by another 50 within a week after that. I come into worm this morning and my boss tells me, "Yeah, I got an e-mail. They've shipped. Two day shipping." So they'll be here, oh, tomorrow.

He's made a very careful diagram of how the boxes will fit in the small amount of space we have. They'll be packed in so tightly, I'm not sure how we'll get them out again. Needless to say, we spent several hours this morning just clearing the areas he's allotted for this project.

This afternoon, I told him, "You know, when we get all these boxes squeezed in so densely and they spontaneously implode and leave a small singularity in the back of your office . . . I'm fairly sure our business insurance doesn't cover that."

He agreed that this was probably so, and ventured so far as to say that he imagined this would coincide with the fly-by of a ship powered by the infinite improbability drive. At which time, we would be left with a bowl of rather confused petunias.

Of course. The sperm whale having been drawn into the singularity.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, a "small singularity." Isn't that kind of redundant?...;) Either way, a real problem in the typical office environment.

--durangodave

9:23 PM  
Blogger Journey said...

Not this time. I'm using defintion 4, you see: "4 : a point or region of infinite mass density at which space and time are infinitely distorted by gravitational forces and which is held to be the final state of matter falling into a black hole."

Unless, of course, we're considering that the singularity is the infinitesimal point at he very center of any given black hole. In which case, I apologize for my imprecision and re-specify that to be a "small black hole"--its singularity having devoured relatively little mass (for all the space-consuming boxes). I'm actually not sure which interpretation is correct.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I stand (sit actually) partially corrected, in that a singularity may be a point, or a region. I had till now understood it to be only a point, such as the theoretical big-bang singularity, or the one central to a non-rotating black hole. But, a "region"? Hadn't considered that before. Just keep it far away from me, please.

--durangodave

10:57 PM  
Blogger Journey said...

Note to self: Keep the black holes in Arizona. Right. ;)

7:57 AM  
Blogger Usman Awais said...

Architectural consultants in Dubai
Architecture firms in Dubai

10:53 PM  
Blogger Abdul Jabbar said...

Very informative contact i really like. If you are interested to visit best places visit my website Famous Places in Karachi
The Most Beautiful Places in Pakistan
Visit Places in Lahore

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home