My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Little Boxes

I hate apartments.

Mind you, I don't hate our apartment. One of the things I like about where we live now is that I don't feel like I live in an apartment. We have the end unit, parking in front of our door, and the whole thing has character. Kendra and I have a common weakness when looking for housing: the tendency to pick interesting floor plans over amenities. We once agreed we were sold on pictures of an apartment in Seattle just because it had great windows and a claw-foot bathtub.

But in general, I hate apartments. Cookie-cutter units with thin walls and cheap appliances. Life in a little white box. I have no desire to live in an egg carton, not even if it has a washer and dryer in the unit.

No, we're not moving. There is news I can't share, yet, which may peripherally affect me, which disgruntled me enough that I went looking at housing online, made these stunning observations, and decided to share them with you.

As much as I hate feeling like a tenant farmer, I have no desire to get into a mortgage situation while I'm seriously dating a guy in another city. And I just so don't feel like moving again. I've spent so much of my life moving. I feel like staying exactly where I am until it's time to settle down and have three kids with blue eyes and a somewhat-less-difficult last name.

We'll see how the cards play out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Journey said...

No, I figured I should wait until he graduates (M.A.) before I propose. ;)

I'll see what I can do about the picture. I know enough people with digital cameras, you wouldn't think it'd be that hard.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home