My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Friday, April 28, 2006

I really don't know how I feel about this.

From the program goals for the alternative school my-nephew-the-freak expects to be sent to:

"Character development instruction may be taught in a classroom setting. If they do not receive character development instruction in this class, they will receive it through their health/physical education class."

The idea of character devlopment through health/physical education seems to me so archaic, it's absurd. The idea that sports somehow magically develop your character has never made any sense to me. Plus, an awful lot of the folks I know report mainly that their physical education teachers graded on how well they did (or rather, didn't do) rather on how they behaved and participated and whether they made an effort. It was not exactly a morale booster. Character devlopment, my ass.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I did athletic stuff in high school. Well, not IN. No one in school knew I was driving around the state to race bikes. It gave me something really fun to do, burned tons of energy, and got me the hell away from school. I think a lot people have a character-shriveling experience with mandatory organized sports. I hope things work out for your cousin, and you.

--durangodave

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops. I mean nephew.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home