My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

"I have a plan."

Ever notice how people who have a good plan almost never say "I have a plan?" They say "What if we try this . . . ?" or "Let's go about it this way . . . " or begin in some other fashion making concrete strides toward vanquishing the enemy, finding the object of the quest, or otherwise accomplishing a goal.

No, when somebody says, "I have a plan," it's usually secret code for "I'm about to do something stupid."

Or maybe I'm just being a cynical writer today.

5 Comments:

Blogger WyldWoods (WW.N) said...

My favourite is "Trust me, I know what I'm doing."

It was even better after the TV show "Sledge Hammer"

2:07 PM  
Blogger RogueHistorian said...

I was always a fan of "Now, if I did this right . . ." Usually, I heard this in a science class or on a set build. Your first instinct is to run - follow that instinct!

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is just no way I could hear someone say, "I have a plan" and not think of Baldric from Blackadder.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Journey said...

I shall have to watch that, someday.

9:44 PM  
Blogger RogueHistorian said...

Baldrick: Don't worry mister B, I have a cunning plan to solve the problem.
Blackadder: Yes Baldrick, let us not forget that you tried to solve the problem of your mother's low ceiling by cutting off her head.

A classic!

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home