My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

It's fascinating . . .

. . . the little things that really matter. We've been interviewing for another tech this week at work. These are really intensive interviews, and we take so many different threads out of them to factor into a decision to hire or not. And yet, sometimes the smallest details weigh heavily into our individual judgements: the words "don't," "haven't," and "never;" the moment when someone's eyebrows rise; the ability to say "I don't know;" the magic of a logic leap; or the absence of a handshake.

If you had told me, a year ago, that I would be hiding in a spare office with my co-worker and a job candidate just to fuck with my boss, I would have given this an improbability rating of 90%. Then again, if you had told me two years ago that I would end up quoting Chaucer in a job interview, I would have looked at you like you were insane.

We have a candidate we all like. I hope all his references come back clean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home