My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Everything you know is wrong.

Or at least, everything I know about my feet, I guess.

The latest shoe-buying debacle resulted in my buying hiking boots and discovering that when I actually wear them for a reasonable length of time, my right foot rotates and angles in such a way that it puts an unbearable amount of pressure on the right side of my foot. This isn't the kind of thing you break in. My chiropractor suggested that it might be a defective shoe, and I should at least go back and talk to the place I bought it from.

So last night, I went in and told them I thought I had either a defective shoe or a defective foot, and I was open to suggestions for how to deal with either. I described the problem, and the first thing the nice young lady asked me was, "Have you had a foot fit?" Turns out, either whoever was helping me didn't usually work in the boots section of the store, or I slipped through the cracks somehow--they should have done some serious measuring of my feet before they let me walk out with boots. So, regardless of the problem boot being worn outside, they're going to do 80% of the cost back in store credit on a pair that fit correctly.

So this nice young lady measures my feet . . . and it turns out, I have a narrow foot. I've been wearing wide shoes for years because standard ones usually aren't comfortable (I have to buy a longer size to accomodate my foot) or I can't physicially squeeze my foot into them. But she measured each foot twice. A+ (on an A-D scale). I have narrow feet. Whatever it is that causes my feet to just not fit well in standard-width shoes, it's not the actual width.

We're still in process; we ran out of time, yesterday. So far I've tried a pair that I couldn't lock down my heel in and a pair that fit really well but didn't have enough ankle support. The style that I had before (that might be right except probably shouldn't be in a wide width), they didn't have in a useful size. So the nice young lady has me coming back tonight, at which point she hopes to have shoes in from another store and hopefully more ideas.

Wish me luck. I have to have something comfortably broken in by Rites.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck. I'm hoping for you. Wish I could get a decent foot-fitting done, I've had odd feet all my life but no idea what to do about it really.

It does make shoes awkward.
Barry

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home