My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

He really is a crazy enough son of a bitch to do that.

Kenilyn and I just saw Live Free or Die Hard. (Sorry, RH). I loved it. My dad had mentioned, when he found it it was rated PG, that they must not get to use Detective John McLean's signature line. I pointed out that actually, you could do that, if you just blew something up in the right place. I was 90% right. Go see it, you'll understand.

Best line: "Damn hamster!"

Detective McLean is actually funnier as an old fart. Though that meant there were moments where it was like watching Abbott and Costello battle the terrorists.

Beyond that, I must say, the computer geeks were very good, ranging from the sterotyped ubergeek (played by Kevin Smith, who was probably reveling in it) to some people very much like the ones I know. With that said, some of the technology was a little hazy, but much of it was close enough that I could kind of tuck that away into a black box and ignore it. And I love that we're starting to see computer geeks in movies who know how to do more than eat cheetos and make gaming references. (Not that we don't do that. But who wouldn't like to see their profession carry guns and know martial arts)?

I want to say something about the female bad guy archetype, but I also don't want to give spoilers at this point. So I guess for now I'll just say that she's great.

White hats, black hats, true believers, mercenaries, people forced to grow beyond themselves, and Dad. A certain reality to the mayhem that makes me uncomfortable--let's hope it can't actually be used as a training manual. And some really great, over-the-top FX.

Though I doubt the physics of the truck, a little. Something to do with torque. I saw one on in the middle of the interstate that did that, once. After a certain point, they twist like a can of explodo-biscuits, and with much the same effect.

I think now I have to re-watch the first two (yes, I know there are three, but I only have to see the first two) and then go out with RH and watch this one again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually like films with a computer geek crew that helps save the day. But I hate it when their programs have a GUI that is vastly overdone, just so it has a wow-factor for the moviegoer. It seems fake to me, and detracts from the film.

--durangodave

12:43 PM  
Blogger RogueHistorian said...

Lookin' forward to it!

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home