My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"What's right? What's wrong? What's left? What the hell is going on?" --Poison

So, on the subject of "What the hell is going on," here's why I've been so quiet on personal stuff lately.

Last Wednesday, during an hour and a half of time no one can quite account for, my boss was advised that it was his last day at work. Officially, this is a fairly cordial transaction: He resigned, and our employer chose the date on which that resignation took effect.

Unofficially, it sure came as a surprise to his staff. He was allowed to tell us himself, and to stay on site the rest of the day to do hand-off types of things. For anybody who doesn't know, I haven't really worked for the company since my first couple of months here--I've worked for my boss. Not only has he been really good to work for (he passes Journey's Personal Loyalty Test), he's one of my favorite playmates. After some consideration of our relationship, I've finally decided that I think we each think the other one is the evil twin.

The following day, they put our Network Administrator in as Interim IT Director. This inspired me to feel slighted and betrayed. Ultimately, the reasons for this action are irrelevant. What's important is that I don't feel I can report to her. She's a wonderful person whom I like a great deal, but she does not pass the aforementioned personal loyalty test. Plus, putting two strong-willed women one over the other in the same department violates a cardinal Girl Rule, and is likely to end in tears or prison.

So . . . I'm looking for a new job while on crutches. I was going to have to look anyway (odds are good they will hire someone with a very different slant into the IT Director position when they finally get around to hiring), but now I feel the need to do this a great deal faster. It's vexing that I've been saving my PTO for a honeymoon and family reunion and now will have to work something out with my new place of employment, but the thing to do is do it as soon as possible, and have as much vacation accumulated at the new place as I can, while hiring in with the understanding that that time is already booked, even if I have to take it without pay.

I've updated my resume and am dilligently hunting, but I'm in the awkward position of being overqualified for Tech 1 positions almost anywhere and underqualified for Tech 2 in a lot of places because I just don't have the level of experience/knowledge around Active Directory that a lot of them would like. So I've ordered some books designed to lead to certifications that will prove I have this knowledge. Normally, I'd wonder when I'd have time to study, but for some reason I no longer feel the need to work 50- and 60-hour weeks.

And yes, I'm still on crutches, and will be for another three weeks or so. In ten days, I'm allowed to begin cautious partial weight-bearing on the affected part of my foot, if it doesn't hurt.

On the plus side, my track record for landing jobs while on crutches is high. On the minus side, that may just indicate that I've been on crutches far too often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home