My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

running to stand still

    Okay, here's where we're at:

  • Work has been told. My last day is 12/24.
  • It's beginning to look less like "packing" and more like "packed" (with the notable exception of the kitchen).
  • Appointment with vet to discuss transporting the cat with cancer this Saturday.
  • No going away party, it looks like, because almost everybody's just too busy at this time of year.
  • Of all the unlikely things, I won the Initiative Award at work this year (one of the also-rans in the contest for Employee of the Year). I knew I'd been nominated, but my general impression was that support staff (IT, Finance, Billing, etc.) simply don't win these. Nifty.
  • A trip to the local army surplus store is in order to round out our winter-weather emergency kit.
  • RH is trying to sell his truck. We went over every contingency we can think of, and we absolutely can't find a reason we'll need two vehicles in Binghamton. We're making the commitment to live within walking distance of or on a bus line to his work.
  • I'm wound so tight, it's unbelievable. December is stressful to begin with. My job is beyond stressful. And moving prep takes a certain amount of time. Any two of the three, I think I could handle. All of them is pushing it. I was up before 5AM this morning so I could do physical therapy and go to the chiropractor before work. After work there's a department dinner. No packing will be done today, needless to say.
  • We have a place to live, but it's a shade on the small side, so packing goes in two categories: Storage and Goes In The House With Us. My stuffed animals have nobly offered to go into storage for six months. Most of my books are also going there. Pete's vinyl, on the other hand, I think has certain climate control requirements.
  • I'll feel better about the place to live when we have a signed contract in our hand. The landlady seems to be not the most timely. Deposit and verbal assurances have been exchanged, but until I've got that, I don't really have an address to give out.
  • Within six months, we hope to find a house we like in our price range, and get all our ducks in a row to purchase it. Wish us luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger Legion said...

Good luck on the move. I hope things go relatively painlessly. Looking forward to you being a lot closer.

By spring, we'll have less junk in our house, so if you two visit, there will be crash space. Perhaps you can make it for CanGames in May. That would be awesome.

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you all the good things, m'friend. Really wish I could help, but things are pretty complicated on this end too. On the up side, I have some good news for you to take with you on your journey. I've finally managed to throw that depression that's been part of my life for 25 years. It's been gone for months and doesn't look like it's coming back. All out of education and forgiveness, and the support of caring people.

Part of that last credit is yours, so carry it proudly. Happy holiday, what holiday you might get, and drive safely. Godspeed and light on your path!

Barry

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home