My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

You all probably want to opt out of this.

Spokeo -dot- com is pretending to be a phone book, and appears to actually be the results of pillaging the Internet for information about people. The resulting profiles are not guaranteed to be accurate, and I suppose that's best, since the one I found for myself includes outright lies on a level that would be considered libelous in any other situation.

I really dislike the fact that someone is guessing at my education level and credit score. If someone actually tried to use this information, I would be very offended by the results.

I'm told there is an opt-out. I'm looking for it right now. But I wanted to post this to let those of you who actually read this blog know that this creepy thing is out there, and you will probably want to opt out of it, too.



(Yes, I'm still alive. Somewhat the worse for wear. In good news, I've recently started a gluten-free diet and have suddenly begun losing weight and having less trouble with allergies that I've had since I was 15. Let's hope the trend holds).

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Thanks for pointing this out so I can get my parents and myself off there. So spooky!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Yes, I was warned about them, too. They have most of my "facts" wrong including my ethinicity - that would really surprise my parents to find out I'm Hispanic. I tried to "opt out." I followed the instructions, but of course, it didn't work. My "info" is still there in all its incorrect glory. Nice, huh?

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home