My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Da-ko-ta

So, as I mentioned, I had to take an emergency trip down to Wilcox, yesterday. Whenever we drive out of town for work, we're supposed to take the company van if it's available and procure a rental car if it's not. Of course, since there was no warning on this, there were no rental cars available, yesterday. The receptionist (who arranges these things) told me the best they could do was a truck.

After having a rent a vehicle while mine was in the shop in February and being in this situation, I was just cringing. They'd stuck me with a Silverado for a day until they could get me a car. I could not see over the hood of the thing while standing on the ground. It maneuvered like an extra-large brick trying to be a sports car.

Mercifully, Cindy said, "It's a small truck. A Dodge Dakota." Now, a Dakota isn't (or at least, didn't used to be) a small truck. It's a mid-size. But having stolen Kendra's once when she had one (my fuel pump failed, she was dead to the world, and I had to be at a test I'd paid $100 for. I got her permission retroactively), I knew I could drive one. Bigger than I'm used to. But no problem.

Imagine my surprise when I get out to the parking lot and see that the "small truck" is a quad cab. Yikes. But it was an emergency and I was already late, so I bit the bullet and crossed my fingers.

If I ever need to buy a truck, I might have to get me one of those. I thought it was going to be a nightmare dealing with a vehicle that long, and admittedly, I didn't take it down narrow roads or parallel park with it or anything. But it actually handled really well. I didn't have the nerve-wracking feeling of being too wide for my own lane (which I've had even with mid-size cars on the occasions when I've driven them). I had no trouble turning or parking, the thing had all kinds of get up and go and the brakes were a little touchy (since it's geared for hauling), but not bad. I just made sure to leave lots of room when I was changing lanes and it was all good. What a pleasant surprise.

Even in that short a time period, I started to see where the power of the vehicle could be tempting. I often complain about men in big trucks, because they drive like men in big trucks. (Oddly, I see very little of this with women). On the one hand, it's just more threatening when someone comes roaring up on your bumper in something with headlights level with the roof of your car. On the other hand . . . give in to the Dark Side of the Highway, Luke. Feel the power of your V6. Use it!

3 Comments:

Blogger WyldWoods (WW.N) said...

Dakota's are nice trucks, at least I think so. And I would consider getting a quad-cab next time, but I plan on having my current one for a few years yet.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I love my little truck :)

Not to mention I can see ;)

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Ta-Co-Ma. Why do our trucks have Indian names?

-durangodave

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home