My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The tongue is faster than the brain

In the morning mocking of my boss, I told him that he had such alacritous and conscientious employees--we both had our purchase card paperwork done before 8:30 AM on the first day of the four-day window. Then I had to stop and think if alacritious was a word, or if I had just made it up out of the appropriate roots and particles to mean "the quality of behaving with alacrity."

And, as I wondered to Brent (our network administrator, with whom I share an office): "And if it isn't a word, does that make us 'alacritous intolerant'?" (Say it out loud, it's funny faster).

We also learned, after I was reaching for "insolvable" and somehow came up with "insoluble" the other day, that I am obviously not part of the solution--I am part of the precipitate.

In other news, I don't understand people who don't read signage. There is a perfectly good sign at the left-hand turning bay for our office complex reading, "Left turn arrow begins with green light." This is important information in Tucson, where we have a lagging left unless it's posted (lagging left has statistically fewer traffic accidents than leading left). This sign does not read "Left on green arrow only," and yet people will sit at this light with no one oncoming until those of us stuck behind them begin honking, because they haven't really read the sign. And people who fail to read the sign entirely will run the red light making their left turn, because they expect that green arrow to be there and aren't used to really waiting to be sure it is before they drive.

My office will probably be moving in three or four months. Given the odds of traffic stupidity around here, this may contribute to my longevity and the health of my car.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutly LOVE it. "Alacritous intolerant." If you all could spend a weekend with my band, half of whom are lexicographers in their own twisted minds. I wish I could recall an example other than a recent reference to a Scottish game of bipedal dexterity that we called "haggis sack."

--durangodave

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home