My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Holy hurricanes, Batman!

It's not my car karma after all. Have a little look at some of the effects of the storms that went through last night.

We were just missed by the power outage, though we had brown-outs sufficient that I had candles burning because I didn't feel like fumbling around in the dark if we did loose power totally. What we got at our place turned out to be wind. From the inside of our apartment you could barely hear it: a little wind, a lot of rain. But we're on the lee side of the building. As I was taping up my back window, I discovered that I wasn't the only one to get the shattered glass treatment. The car two over from mine had the back window shivered, though hers was holding together from the tint and the angle of the glass. There may have been a couple other damaged cars that just left for work before I did; I have no idea. Ours is the only real parking "lot" in the complex--the folks in street parking seemed to have a little protection from houses across the way.

I stopped to tell the apartment manager he should probably check our roof because we'd heard stuff sliding around, only to find out he already planned to be up on every roof at some point today. Turns out, our building had its roof re-done after the whole thing lifted off in a storm last year, but that was before his time, so he's not sure exactly how it was done. The buildings across the way, with tile roofs, have not fared well. There are branches on roofs and trees listing and all kinds of messiness. Hell, I saw a power pole basically hanging form its lines with a crew working on it on the way to work.

The apartment manager says the figure he heard was 100-110 mph winds. It was very local, but that speed's about a class two or three if it were a hurricane. Given the damage I saw, I can believe it. In Casa Grande, where there's nothing around to break the wind for miles, this kind of damage was unusual, but not unexpected. In my part of Tucson, it's almost unheard of.

And we're just starting to pick up moisture from Hurricane Emily. The hurricane is coming in right over through that portion of the Gulf of Mexico that we draw our monsoonal flow from. The ride may just get wilder for the next several days. Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home