My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Swimsuits. Ugh.

I live in Tucson, AZ. How come I can buy a swimsuit in February, but not in July?

I've been invited to my sister's birthday party this Saturday. It's a pool party. And my swimsuit--which is the best swimsuit I've ever owned and fits perfectly at my current weight--is beginning to suffer seriously from Old Swimsuit Disease. You know, when the spandex starts to wear out so the fabric acquires a nap? Eventually, it gets so bad you can see through it. Mine's not quite to that point, yet, but I'm still not sure I want to wear it out in the sunlight (I'm primarily a hot tub-at-night kind of person).

I stopped in at the local Wal-Mart just to see what they had. While nothing's on clearance, yet, we have reached the portion of the year where most of what's left is a random selection of two-piece suits, which may or may not actually have two pieces. The results of the Wal-Mart trip: One bikini bottom which fit, one suit which would have been perfect if they'd had it one size up, and one suit which probably was perfect but was too expensive to bother trying on.

Yesterday, I had to hit the Foothills Mall in search of pirate stickers anyway, so I stopped in Ross and found the same problem, only more so. I found two suits worth trying on, and a bottom, and a top. The one-piece would have been fine except that the way the back is structured and with shoulders like mine, it would never actually stay on. The two-piece is such a good swimsuit I bought it even though it's too small, excepting that it will fit fine eventually--probably during some awkward month like November when we still go hot-tubbing here in southern AZ.

So I ended up with blue bottoms and a red-and-white striped top. Which really isn't as bad as it sounds. I'm still not quite comfortable with the way my middle looks in a two-piece suit (I'm comfortable walking around in lingerie, but not in a bathing suit--what the hell is wrong with me?), so I'll throw a white mesh swim-suit cover over it and kind of have the Wonder Woman thing going on.

And what were the pirate stickers for? My sister's birthday present, mwahaha. But I can't tell you about it until after I've given it to her. I gave Gilbert the URL to my blog, and I don't know if he might have given it to her. So I'll play safe instead of sorry. Hopefully someone at the party will have a camera that takes better pictures than my POS digital . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home