My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Bio for HS reunion memory book - comments welcome

April Lynn Dimenstein
avalon@hilander.com


I attended Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, AZ from 1995-1999. After coming to the conclusion I'm more a tree-hugger than a tree farmer, I changed my major from Forestry to English. I graduated magna cum laude with talents for poetry, fiction, and getting into trouble. My job prospects, unfortunately, were limited to deciphering other people's handwriting or asking, "Would you like fries with that?"

I become a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer in January, 2000 and decided to move to Boston, MA. I spent eighteen months there, working as a guerilla tech and learning how to play a fair number of seven-card poker games and walk in 6" heels. I made some good friends there and found my spiritual path.

When the bottom fell out of the tech market, I returned to Arizona and sneaked into the field of adult education through the side door. I spent two years in Casa Grande running a computer lab for GED students and tutoring them in subject areas and job skills. I remembered more algebra than I ever thought I would. In 2003, I moved to Durango, CO, where I did technical support for a small internet service provider and made family out of some of my best friends.

A small town economy led me back to Tucson in the tail end of 2004. I'm presently working as an IT ninja for a local social services organization. The technical interview involved my quoting Geoffrey Chaucer and Douglas Adams, and the job continues to be entertaining, most of a year later.

Someone asked me, the other day, what the best year of my life was. The answer is twenty-eight. Right now. It just keeps getting better.

favorite songs, past and present: "Bravado," by Rush, "The Only Time," by Nine Inch Nails, "Voodoo Dollhouse," by Spaz Kitty, and "Illegal Tender," by Louis XIV

hobbies: Writing science fiction and fantasy, dancing around a bonfire, Louis XIV concerts, playing in the mud, role-playing games, hiking, camping, six-inch stiletto heels, crocheting, and freaking people out.

favorite quote:
"Don't go by night, they said. But she did. Don't stray from the road, they said. But she did. Don't follow the fire, don't listen to its music. But she did. They meant well, but they didn't understand." --Charles de Lint

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely done and very publishable. Don't be afraid to freak em out just a little bit. Can't wait for your report on the reunion, as I've never been to one, and I really want to know what it's like (but not enough to actually go.) I think my graduating class voted me "least likely to play funk-n-roll in smoky bars." And you couldn't blame them for thinking that, seeing as I was the guy who left school at lunch to go dig for antique bottles next to the old road. It really was the best lunch option in hindsight.
--durangodave

1:34 PM  
Blogger Journey said...

I'm not afraid to freak 'em out. :) What I don't want to do is come off as either bitter or superior. As a strong woman with a lot of heart and backbone, I tend to make some people feel insecure. I don't want that going into this situation.

I spent my lunches mostly in club meetings. That was my solution to the lunch option.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY.. you forgot daquiri DDR ;)

But well written. Class reunions in my experience so far were boring. I had more fun crashing my friends' reunion who were a year younger than me.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home