My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Sunday, July 03, 2005

"Coming!" "So's Brad!"

Sorry for no post yesterday. I worked, and it turned into a nine-hour shift in which things were breaking as fast as I fixed them. After all that, it seemed like a good idea to go out and do something.

Kendra and I grabbed her little sister, Annie, and went down to The Loft to do the Rocky Horror Picture Show. RHPS is definitely one of those things you do, not see. I'd gone to pretty lukewarm Rocky in Flagstaff as a college student, and really wonderful Rocky in Boston. Of course, in Boston, they card you at the door and pat frisk you to boot.

When you really do Rocky, you have to dress up. You just have to. These are the "after" pictures, and out of the three cameras I own the only one I could find was the POS digital. So on the plus side, you have pictures now, not after I scan them on my dad's computer. On the minus side, out of about 25 shots, we got three that weren't completely unusable. And Kendra took two of them (she's always been the better photographer; I just fake it).

Yes, I know, they still suck. And this was with the high resolution setting. I'm scared to wonder what they might've looked like on low-res. I so need a real camera.



Kendra just bought wonderful new boots, which unfortunately, you can't see very well. We dressed Annie up out of my toybox. (It amuses me that we got the 17-year-old into fishnets and 5" stiletto pumps).



This week's weigh-in: 193lbs. I officially fit into my corset again, so I just had to wear it. It's also the first time I've worn these shoes with fishnets, and one of the few times I've worn them with stockings at all. Talk about slippery! The whole thing looks better in person--In order to make these usable at all, I had to edit in such a way that I lost a lot of the finer detail.

The show was high energy, loud, and obnoxious. Frank and Riff were really good. You knew Frank was going to be good the second the cape came off. You just have to have a certain presence to look like you own the room when you're a tall man in a corset, stockings, and four-inch heels. And oh my gods, he really could run in those things. He even made it look easy.

Brad and Janet needed help, Janet especially. I think they were both new--they didn't quite have their cues down. And the flip side of what I just pointed out about Frank was true for Brad and Janet: They were not comfortable with what they were doing. Janet was the epitome of "I can't possibly make those silly arm-motions she's making on the screen, so I'm just going to stand here and look uncomfortable."

Rocky was very, very gay. I did not know it was possible to flame while miming pumping iron. Until last night. It was hilarious.

Some of the things they did with props were very funny. They had a lot of carefully made props for the various scenes, but they also did a lot of make-do. One of the primary props was a plain wooden bench that mainly served just to give them two levels to work with. So it was a banister, a table, a motorcycle, and anything else they happened to need.

The funniest bit was when Frank comes out with the whip, punishing Riff Raff for losing Rocky. Because they didn't have a whip. Frank was using Magenta's feather duster from a previous scene. Really, when you need a whip and all you have is a feather duster, what can you do but play it up? So every lash of the whip started out as a lash and turned into a furious tickling by the end of the stroke. I would have busted a gut laughing, except my guts were all bound up in a corset and quite unable to bust.

They did something interesting with the very fast costume change at the end (for the floor show). Half the roles switched actors. Brad, Janet, and Columbia. It was actually very effective (and the floor show Brad and Janet were better), it just took me a moment to catch on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home