My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

More bizare injuries.

All I did was crack my knee into my desk. We have all done this, at work. In fact, I have probably done it less often than anyone else in my department: only three times in about a year and a half. Unfortunately, when I did it on Monday, I did it with some force, and I immediately had a feeling that it was bad. I went home and iced it.

It was still bad the following morning, but I had to drive around Phoenix all day. The following day, I sheepishly told my boss that I had technically been injured at work. We were required to fill out paperwork for Worman's Comp, and when he had to fill out "What could you do to prevent this kind of thing from recurring?" he looked at me and said, "Get a smarter employee?"

"That, or a wider desk," I answered.

I spent almost four hours in the Workman's Comp clinic. They were that backed up. But, much to my amazement, the doctor who saw me did not seem to be one of those with the investors' collective hand so far up her butt you could see her mouth moving. She looked at me knee and poked at it, and asked questions, and finally decided she wanted to x-ray it. I was shocked.

I was more shocked at the results of the x-rays. Mind you, she wants a radiologist to double-check her on this, it's that bizare. No, she doesn't think I broke it. She said I contused the bones. I was surprised--I'd have thought that the kneecap weas close enough to the surface that even if it was contused, I'd be seeing a hell of a lot more bruising coming up by now.

But no, it gets better. Seems I jammed the kneecap into the bones beneath it with so much force that those bones are the ones with the contusions.

So I've gone from having the most bizare injury of the department (dog bite in the line of duty) to having the two most bizare injuries. I believe someone has gone so far as to label me accident-prone. Which is funny, because I don't think I've ever had a work-related injury before in my life.

Incidentally, the chiropractor agrees about having jammed the kneecap. It's much easier to walk now that he's helped me get it back in place (and damn, does that hurt, btw). We'll probably have to nudge it again a couple more times in the next week or two, but having all the bones sliding correctly will definitely make the surrounding muscles happier.

Needless to say, rest and elevation are on the menu for this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home