My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

The things I do for my health . . .

I'm not sick, and yet, I can feel my sinuses getting infected. It's been that kind of allergy season. So . . . I bit the bullet and bought a neti pot. My doctor advised this, the last time I was in with a sinus infection. It's a fancy name for a simple device designed to let you pour salt water through your sinuses. Yeah, I know that sounds gross.

Is it as bad as it sounds? Um. I'm not certain. While it's not in my top five list of Most Unpleasant Things I Have Done for My Health, it might be in the top ten. It doesn't hurt, but my body instinctively interprets the feeling as drowning. Because if you inhale water, the first thing it hits is your sinuses. The fact that I can breathe easily through my mouth the whole time does not stop my body from telling my hindbrain that I'm drowning. While it never quite becomes a panic reaction, it never quite stops trying to be one.

Snorting hydrogen peroxide hurts far more, but doesn't last nearly as long.

This better be worth it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've used salt water, came in a canister under pressure, and when you use the valve, it shoots right up into your sinuses. Not a bad thing, but yes, it does feel weird, doesn't it?

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home