My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Have I mentioned lately that I'm an idiot?

So, as I was lying in bed just now, trying to get to sleep through too much pain and the stress/depression of trying to figure out the Rites transportation business, it finally filtered through to me that my sister said a very wise thing while we were at lunch today:

Rent a car?

I brushed it off then, because of course I can't rent a car, because I'm going to have it for a week and it's not like I can drive it back and return it after I drive myself where I'm going. But I was lying here just now, realizing that if I'm looking at $100 in transportation anyway . . . Dollar and Enterprise sometimes do some pretty good deals a a weekly rental.

I can rent an economy car for eight days for $175 dollars, including all the taxes and fees. Figure that since I'm driving straight there and back, it won't take more than a tank, maybe a tank-and-a-half of gas. Call it $50. I still have to take red-eyes and I still have to deal with driving to and from Phoenix (and prevailing on somebody to take me to and from the airport and possibly let me crash as soon as I get off the plane). It's . . . at the high end of what I can pay for transportation, but it might be do-able.

I could still save $30 if I could fly in on the Saturday before, instead of taking the red-eye, and I'd still have to beg crash space for Monday night on the tail end (because if you're first in, you're last out, which means it doesn't matter if I'm ready to leave at 12:30 PM, the guy blocking me in may not be ready to go until 2:55). Enterprise will, of course, pick me up at my brother's house if I have crash space and can fly in early.

Most especially, the company would still be better if my brother's interested in renting a trailer and carpooling. But at least now, I feel like maybe I have a viable option.

Maybe now I can sleep.

3 Comments:

Blogger Richard Wintle said...

I'm afraid I don't really have anything useful to say... the only advice I have on travel to/from Phoenix is that if you have to go to Scottsdale from Sky Harbor airport, definitely rent a car because it's a $55 cab ride anyway.

Sorry, that might be the least useful comment ever...

(visiting via Wyldwoods again)

6:32 PM  
Blogger Richard Wintle said...

Oh - you're in Tucson aren't you? You probably knew that about Phoenix already.

I guess my comment was even more useless than I thought. Sorry.

I'm leaving now...

6:36 PM  
Blogger Journey said...

I always enjoy your comments, useful or otherwise. It's not like my blog is terribly useful, either. *wrygrin*

And yeah, you're right about the cab. Anywhere west of the Mississippi, I wouldn't even have thought about it. On the east coast, sometimes things are built close enough together for a cab to be useful.

And sometimes, it's really nifty to know that you can rent a Kia Rio for $175. :)

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home