My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

On Sleeping

For all that I've dealt with mild depression on and off for most of my life, I've never really felt the "sleeping" symptom until today. I slept late. I took a nap this afternoon. And now I'm about ready to go back to bed. It just feels like there's nothing worth doing, and maybe when I wake up tomorrow it will all be better.

Alas, this is unlikely. I'm not as physically tense as I was. (My shoulders feel like they've been pounded with a meat tenderizer, but this reflects the positive aspects of having had a massage). Work is, if not necessarily better, at least far more stable than at the beginning of the week.

Today I went looking for airfares to Rites, again, and thought I found a solution . . . only to realize that I was looking at a red-eye that came on on the Tuesday of that week, when what I need is the Monday. The Monday costs $100 more. This for Albany, so my backup plan is now out. Flying into Newark and taking the bus almost works, except I'd need to stay in Newark overnight on the way out, which is neither sane nor cost-effective. So Boston becomes the best choice again. I hate having to haul my luggage on buses. Subways aren't too bad, and neither are long-distances buses, but plain old MBTA buses really are not cut out for juggling two suitcases and a duffle bag.

Six additional hours of travel and $100 or $120 dollars in bus-and-cab fare. I just don't know if I really want to do this. I told my brother I'd rent him a U-haul trailer if he wants. It'd cost the same and the company would be much better.

Why isn't there a double "s" in the middle of "buses"?

Then I looked at airfare from Tucson to Durango, on the theory that maybe Pete and I should go do that for the amount of money it would take to get just me in and out of Albany for Rites. Mind you, the rates haven't been posted far enough out, yet, but for the dates I can find, that wonderful Tucson-to-Durango fare America West used to offer is gone. I blame US Airways, which seems to have subsumed them. Tucson-to-Durango is now over $400/person.

This just is really not turning out to be a good day. Maybe it's time to kiss it goodbye and hope for better from a new one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home