My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Monday, November 28, 2005

these dreams

Like my dreams aren't bizarre enough to start with, they just get stranger when I have a fever. Lately, I have a hard time falling asleep and a harder time waking up.

I lay down for a few minutes at my parents' house yesterday while my laundry was running and was just out cold. After a couple of hours, completely aware that I was dreaming, I struggled myself out of bed. And stood there, and went, "Well, this is good . . . except I have a funny feeling I didn't get up." And I looked over my shoulder, and sure enough, I was back in bed.

I finally got myself out of that one by treating it like coming out of a particularly deep journey or meditation. Starting by wiggling my fingers and toes, then trying to open my eyes, etc.

And in the wee hours of this morning, I woke up with the clearest memory of having been asleep in my waterbed from high school. The bells I put on the pull chain of my lamp so I could find it in the dark had come off and were pressed into parts of the bed. I heard them ring as they rolled around. And I was being molested by dolls.

Yes, I'm using the word "molested" advisedly, and by dolls, I don't mean blow-up dolls or barbie dolls. We're talking teddy bears and Strawberry Shortcake. Or maybe it was just a cloth doll in a strawberry shortcake nightgown like the one I had when I was an itty bitty. I'm not quite clear on that, since by that point things were so bizarre I knew I was dreaming, and I was just trying to beat the dolls off long enough to wake up.

I suppose the fact that bizarre="must be dreaming" is clue enough of the fever right there. (Yes, I'm getting better. The fever's the necessary last step to burning this crap out of my system). Normally, I can jump out a window while the sea boils below me, be pregnant by a werewolf, or be working as part of the Rebellion (not infrequently on the verge of being caught and getting my ass kicked or killed) without ever having the feeling that it's a dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home