My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Toys in the Attic

I spent half of Friday and all of Saturday with Pete this weekend. Not only did we see the concert, we also watched movies, nearly fell off his bed (it's a single), rode roller coasters and bumper cars, and generally hung out and had a pleasant time.

The whole "dating" thing has been very strange to me up till now. Not because it's strange, but because friendship is a very deep thing for me and it always takes me a long while to feel I really know a person. Even, as it turns out, one I'm dating. Also . . . as much as I've wanted marriage and children and the rest of my life with someone, the possibility also scared the hell out of me, simply because it's different from anything I've ever known.

When I showed up at Pete's house on Friday, I asked for a glass of water. He opened the fridge door to get the pitcher and a very suspicious smell wafted out. He apologized and mentioned that "clean the fridge" was on his list of things to do before I arrived, and it was the one he hadn't quite gotten to. He had a feeling his roommate had put something in the crisper and forgotten it.

I've had this problem before, and I mentioned always trying to throw things out before they grow legs or achieve sentience. Thinking, as I said it, of a Cowboy Bebop episode in which something gets left in the fridge too long and hilarity ensues.

And Pete said, "Yeah, it's starting to remind me of Toys in the Attic, that Cowboy Bebop episode where food gets left in the fridge and . . . "

Right that minute, I think I stopped being scared. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home