My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

my boyfriend loves me

This is the last weekend I had to see Pete before he goes home for the holidays. I saw him briefly, Thursday night, at my sister's graduation dinner. We missed the previous weekend due to car trouble. He'll have his brother in town the weekend of New Year's Eve. So it's pretty much going to be a week into January before I get to spend time with him.

I knew yesterday morning that I wouldn't be able to drive up. Too much to do, plus the tickle in the back of my throat. I was planning to call him last night and at least chat . . . but I lost my voice. Not only that, I got home from work and passed out for four hours. Up for three. Slept for eight. Up for three. Slept for two. We're currently on my longest waking stretch since I got home yesterday: about six hours.

I think Pete must have called while I was zonked out the first time. I know the phone rang a couple of times. Kendra answered it. It even, vaguely, occurred to me that Pete might have called to see what was going on with me. I remember hoping she'd make my apologies, since all I had was a whisper or a squeek at that point, and drifting off again.

This afternoon, as I was lying in bed wearing the blankets, two cats, a book, and that's about it, there was a knock at the door. I tentatively stood up and peeked out the window . . . and ducked down again, seeing a stranger. I located a nightgown, threw it on, and answered the door to . . .

. . . flowers.

With a card that reads, "Get well soon and I love you! --Pete"

I love you too, handsome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home