My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Let's see. Where were we?

There's a two-fold reason for the long silence. One, I was out of town for about five days last week. RH had a history conference in Minnesota and I was able to get the time off to go with him. I have some family in the Twin Cities area, so we were able to get together with one of my cousins and his family one night and one of my uncles and his family another. Good heavens, my youngest first cousin must've been drinking miracle gro or something--he's now taller than his older brother and shows no signs of stopping.

Vacation was good. Seeing the Science Museum of Minnesota was a lot of fun. Just spending time with RH was the best thing, and not having to rush around. Hell, the hotel had a little game room in it--we went down and just shot pool and played air hockey for awhile, just to kill time.

The other reason for the silence is that I've begun having work-related panic attacks. By panic attack, I mean that I can't breathe, I feel my heart racing, all the blood starts flowing out of my head, etc. By work-related, I mean that I feel better about 24 hours after I get off work and start having problems again about 12 hours before I go back. You'll note that this makes for an awfully short functional period on the weekends. So, funny thing, the last thing I wanted to do after I got off work every day was sit in front of a computer. The good news is, I started seeing a councelor last week to try and get this under control, and the situation's somewhat improved. No panic attacks at all on Thursday or Friday, though my adrenaline level is still much too high, and I'm actually sleeping again.

I had a promising interview last week, and on Friday, the HR person at the agency let me know that they're hanging onto my name, but they're going to advertise the position for another week and see if they get any more qualified applicants. Because they've discarded everyone else and they'd like to have two or three choices to choose among. It's government, so I'm not offended that they don't want to just hire me on the spot. I do lack some of the experience for this position, but let's face it, if I knew it like the back of my hand, I probably wouldn't find it interesting enough to apply for.

In wedding news, we more or less have a caterer, I'm just ironing out the details. The venue finally got back to us with enough details that we can start planning more of the reception. RH and I made some decisions about music. I let the relatives I saw last week know that my policy on children in weddings is that any little cousins who are going to be there and want to be part of a wedding, I will find a place for. I have yet to let the other two families with little cousins know, but since I have it on reliable authority that little boys would rather be strung up by their toenails than wear a suit, I mostly wanted to get the information to the one family that has girls.

My foot is healing, slowly but surely. I pretty much hobble around the house without a crutch, now, and I could almost do so at work, except if I did, I'd probably overdo it and make myself worse again. Soon, though. I see the podiatrist again on Wednesday; he can probably tell me at that time whether this is a normal rate of progress and whether I should drop the crutch entirely or drop the wrap on the foot, first. I really hope to be able to wear shoes other than my stiff-soled sandals sometime in the next few weeks. This is the desert, but by November, I'd really be happier to be in closed-toe shoes.

My weight shot up again, what with not being able to exercise and the stress at work. I'm slowly working it back down. I was measured for a wedding dress when I was about ten pounds lighter and I want to be able to try it on when it arrives. You'd think this would be more motivating; somehow, it's just depressing. But that could just be spill-over chemicals from everything else in the endocrine cocktail right now.

I wonder if I can get the alcohol people to obtain half a case of Magpie's mead for the reception.

I have another application in that I feel hopeful about--also government--that I've received an acknowledgment for, but nothing more, yet. But since it's government, things just take awhile. The last two weeks have been pretty dismal where job openings are concerned; I'm hoping for better in tomorrow's ads.

RH and I have tickets to see Avenue Q next weekend. I am so very jazzed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home