My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

On the practice of gifting.

During the course of learning about weddings, I've discovered the practice of gifting. Everybody gets gifts. The bride and groom give each other gifts. They give their parents gifts. You give your bridesmaids and groomsmen gifts. Even the flower girls get gifts. (Those ones are easy, actually).

On the one hand, I'd like to give something either useful or sentimental--or better yet, both. On the other, there's a definite wedding merchandising push at work here. I can't really see bridesmaids wanting cheap-looking jewelry to wear with their dresses (especially when those dresses all have different necklines) or dainty pink leather-covered flasks. Likewise, I have never met a man who uses a money clip, much less a personalized one, and the idea of giving cufflinks just seems ridiculous to me.

So . . . I'm looking for ideas. What would you consider Cool Shit to get as a bridesmaid or a groomsman? I would love to go beyond cigars and personalized photo frames. We do have a budget--I really can't afford to purchase full days at a spa for my girls. But I know we can get reasonable gifts on our budget--if we can just come up with some that aren't simply clutter that sits around gathering dust, too personal to be thrown away and too stupid to be used.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

something that can be part of their everyday life is the best gift, personally I find a small pocket knife or some other tool(being an engineer things for drafting and or measuring stuff are always good) the best, but tastes vary. Just something you use every day and think of the big party with good friends. Stuff you pack away/put on a shelf or only use on special occasions is just wasting space in my opinion. If they are science geeks (highly likely knowing you) a high quality pocket magnifier is good(a biologist friend loved the one i got her for christmas) a surveryor got a polished brass plumb bob, and I really have given lots of inexpensive pocket knives away and am happy every time I see that person use one (and I have yet not to see one I gave used).

-Clayton in Flagstaff

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home