My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Sunday, December 25, 2005

on presents

I had a delightful, low-key Christmas with my parents and sister and her boyfriend. Despite being sick.

As we were opening presents, it occurred to me that I think I like presents better before they're opened. Brightly-wrapped boxes under a tree are full of cheerful potential. Once they're unwrapped, they just become "stuff." Not that some of the stuff isn't great fun, and it's definitely the thought that counts. But at some point, the possibilities became more interesting than the actuality. Kind of like I've become the kind of person who learns as much from questions as from their answers.

Or perhaps I'm just feeling philosophical due to the cold. ;)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, did ours to you come in yet?
And does this mean I should do to you what our mother did to us for many years, and make a 'super present', which is a present wrapped in a present, wrapped in a present, and so forth and so on, each layer sealed with construction tape?

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My "favorite" is the present known as a "Box of Love" or some mushy crap like that... It is generally well wrapped and looks nice, then you open it and see that it is just a stupid empty box... If all your love can give me is a freaking empty box, then I don't think I need it... now some red vines; that is a different thing all together.

2:18 AM  
Blogger Journey said...

Mark: Nope, not yet. And I think I could pass on the construction tape and layers--they don't make it look any better under a tree. ;)

5:06 PM  
Blogger Journey said...

Kevin: Of course. Sugar has infinite potential. Air just lets you breathe. ;)

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home