My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

When Friday is Monday

Back to work tomorrow. First time in almost two weeks. I am officially out of extended illness leave. On the plus side, I feel halfway human again. I still have a cough and get tired awfully fast, so I'm not going to be pushing it. I haven't been so sick for so long since I was eighteen. It's harder to bounce back at almost-twenty nine.

I got some late Christmas presents. Thanks especially for the cute little foxie, Kit, Cat, Mark, Shammy, and anybody else who was in on that. :) She's sitting on top of my computer, watching me type. And she's so much more polite about it than my cats are.

I got some Christmas money as well, which registered my car and will get me new hiking boots. I also have to apply for a passport next month. The family reunion in June will leave from . . . Vancouver, I think. Don't quote me on that. And since my birth certificate is a bad photocopy with a notary imprint in it, I'd really prefer to have a passport for crossing the border.

I've heard there's legislation in the works that would require passports to go over any border, including the one with Mexico. I'm trying to fathom this. So many families here in southern Arizona still have family just south of the border in Sonora. You can't possibly expect a family of twelve to pay for passports for all of them, including the kids. I'm going to hope it doesn't pass, because the effects will be very ugly if it does.

I scared one of my cats today. She decided to play with the thermometer. I told her no, and when she didn't stop, I called her a bad cat and took her toy away from her. Somehow, this seems to have penetrated when nothing else I do really has. She decided to hide from me in the bathroom sink, which indicates a depth of "Uh oh, I really pissed Mom off this time" that ignores the fact that the sink was wet. I ultimately had to retrieve her from the sink and cuddle her until she felt better, and she's been awfully clingy this afternoon.

I do not expect this to improve her over-all behavior. Leave it to me to have cats with negative attention-getting behaviors.

I had a weigh-in at Jenny Craig today. The good news is, I've only gained about six pounds over the course of this illness. I was worried it was more like ten or twelve. Stare at yourself in the mirror enough while fevered and everything gets blown out of proportion.

Kendra and I started watching Firefly a couple nights ago. Her mommy gave it to her for Christmas. I'm very taken with it, though I confess, I have the same skewed reaction to it as to a number of other science fiction movies/series, simply because I live in Arizona. That reaction can best be summed up as, "Look, we're on an alien planet somewhere between Tombstone and Benson!" Fortunately, this mostly amuses me.

Nothing more interesting to report, because nothing much interesting happens while you're home sick. Perhaps I'll have more after this weekend.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vancouver... isn't that in Canada? Are you sure you will be safe travelling up there?

2:58 AM  
Blogger Journey said...

Hell, I'm not sure I'll be safe traveling out of my apartment complex. Some idiot ignored the stop sign at the top of the drive the other day and almost T-boned me ink front of the mailboxes.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home