My Surreality Check Bounced

"Why settle for a twig when you can climb the whole tree?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binghamton, NY, United States

Journey is a rogue English major gone guerilla tech. She is currently owned by two cats, several creditors, and a coyote that doesn't exist. See "web page" link for more details about the coyote.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Rules

Have you ever worked someplace there was a rule that you couldn't park next to somebody's car? I don't mean somebody-anybody. I mean a specific somebody. Can't park in the space next to their car.

In your average mid-sized business, is it considered normal that IT cannot make any rules concerning IT and data security that the company's managing team doesn't approve?

I find it really ironic when I get to contribute to the formulation of sane and sensible rules that will be applied to everyone but me. It wouldn't be nearly so ironic if no rules applied, but when the alternative ruleset is actually draconion, I think irony is an appropriate description. And yet, none of this would be quite so ironic as when someone with three letters next to their name thinks they've hosed their computer through an action they have specifically forbidden to one or more of the peons in IT.

It's a funny ol' world, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home